Let’s face it, our supermarkets and local stores are packed full of hundreds of different brands of shampoos and conditioners, and they are all readily available to purchase with ease when doing our normal shopping…
So why bother taking the time to specifically purchase and use natural and organic hair products?
Organic shampoos and conditioners do normally cost a little bit more than their synthetic counterparts, but they do yield a surprisingly large array of benefits.
Here are a few reasons why you should definitely try them out:
They are Free of Toxins and Chemicals
Organic shampoos and conditioners are by nature free of the harmful and toxic chemicals that common, run-of-the-market shampoos contain.
These chemicals can have various impacts on our health: from skin rashes, to inflammation, eczema and increased body toxicity.
Some have even been proven to contribute towards cancer!
Here are the 12 most common toxic chemicals that can be found in many non-organic shampoos, and their potential side effects:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS). This chemical has shown to have cancer-causing properties, and can also cause liver damage, skin rashes and contribute towards depression.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine. Causes eye and skin irritation, and can causes contact dermatitis.
- Triclosan. Causes skin, lung and eye irritation, and can disrupt the endocrine (hormonal) system and internal organs.
- Polysorbates. Causes skin, eye and lung irritation and disruption to internal organs.
- Polyethylene Gycol (PEG). This chemical has been directly linked to cancer, and it can also increase toxicity in the organs.
- Potassium Sorbate. Normally used as a preservative, it can cause increased skin and organ toxicity.
- Fragrance. This can clog the lymphatic system and contribute towards organic toxicity.
- Quaternium-15. This is a quaternary ammonium salt which releases formaldehyde, which is carcinogenic. It has direct links to cancer.
- Phenoxyethanol. This chemical can be a nasty skin, eye and lung irritant, and can even cause vomiting and contact dermatitis.
- Retinyl Palmitate. This is a carcinogen, and it can cause toxicity to the reproductive system, and to your organs.
- Dimethicone. Can cause skin, eye and scalp irritation. It can trap impurities in the skin, as it forms a barrier around the outside of the skin which acts as a seal.
- Behentrimonium Chloride. Concentrations over 0.1% have been shown to irritate skin and damage the eyes; and it can cause inflammation.
Sodium Laureth Sulfate – perhaps the most damaging chemical of all!
Even though these dangerous chemicals may only be present in small doses in our everyday shampoos and conditioners, it is the ongoing long-term exposure which makes them especially dangerous to us.
Our bodies naturally absorb the ingredients in our hair products over time. That is why it is so important to use natural hair products – so that your body can actually absorb helpful nutrients, and not harmful toxins.
As well as damaging your body, these chemicals also strip your hair of its natural oils. This can make your hair dry, thin and without the nutrients it needs to flourish and grow strong.
They Contain Essential Nutrients
Natural and organic hair products contain many essential minerals, vitamins and oils that are absorbed into your hair and scalp after application.
There are a variety of nutritionally-rich ingredients (essential vitamins, minerals and oils) in organic hair products. These have a positive effect on your hair and your body when absorbed.
Here are a few of the most beneficial ingredients to look out for:
- Shea Butter. Moisturises the scalp, improves hair texture and promotes the growth of new, strong hair follicles.
- Aloe Vera. Makes hair silkier and smoother, and helps to tackle the effects of dandruff.
- Lavender Oil. Re-energises and increases circulation to the scalp, promoting hair growth.
- Tea Tree. Has been shown to reduce the effects of dandruff, and relieve Psoriasis. It cleans out old skin and is great for re-invigorating hair.
- Argan Oil. Cleanses and moisturises your scalp and hair, and protects hair from the damaging effects of UV rays from the sun.
- Coconut Milk. Nourishes and conditions hair, and treats the hair to allow it to grow thicker.
The best way to get healthy hair is to use products that nourish and feed your hair.
Many everyday hair products act a bit like a nuclear bomb when applied; they do strip your hair of dirt, but they also strip it of all its goodness at the same time!
Natural and organic hair products have the added benefit of working with your hair.
They provide it with the essential minerals and vitamins that it needs to grow strong – without stripping it of the natural, healthy oils that are present.
They are Bio-Degradable and Helpful to the Environment
Whether you are particularly environmentally focused or not, let’s face it – organic shampoos and conditioners are better for the environment.
The ingredients used in natural hair products are biodegradable by nature, and do not harm the environment.
Simply because there are no harmful chemicals to pollute and damage our habitat.
It is a nice thing to know that when you are buying organic hair products, you are actually helping the environment, and not hindering it!
Natural and Organic Shampoos Can Help Balance Body pH
Naturally, your scalp varies in pH, normally between 4 and 7 (slightly acidic to neutral).
If you use a shampoo that is too alkali, then it can strip your scalp of its natural acidic sebum – the same sebum that fights off bacteria.
Many natural shampoos will actually restore the correct pH balance for you, to prevent loss of hair through bacteria, dandruff or fungus.
The skill is in picking the right shampoo!
Be sure to look for shampoos that are coconut milk or aloe vera based, as these have a lower pH, and will be beneficial for your hair if it is too alkali.
Where to Source Organic Hair Products
The internet is a fantastic place to find and compare a range of organic hair products, so you can find what works for you.
You can also find organic hair products in specialist local stores, although sometimes it is quicker and easier to find what you want online.
If you are just starting out with organic products, then it is a good idea to buy a couple and try them all out to start with.
That way, you can naturally refine your choices when you identify what you like, and what works for your hair.
To get you started, here are some of our favourite organic hair products:
Rahua’s luxury hair products only contain natural and organic ingredients, and they are simply fantastic!
Both the shampoo and the conditioner contain organic Aloe Vera leaf extract to sooth your hair, and balance its pH. They also contain Quinoa to revitalise your hair and Rahua-Ungurahua oil, which will fortify your hair if it is weak or damaged.
The actual cleaning power in the shampoo comes from both coconut and shea butter betaines which will cleanse your hair naturally, without stripping it of its essential nutrients.
Their products also contain less suds, which mean that they are safe for cleaning colour treated hair.
Rahua also offers an aromatherapy experience with their products due to the ‘Palo Santo’ in the product, which is their signature scent. It has quite an earthy scent, and is certainly a luxurious experience!
John Masters Organics are on a mission to make their products as organic as possible – and they are certainly popular, as they are available in 39 countries!
Their products are USDA certified organic, and most of their products are pH balanced (apart from specific shampoos and conditioners where this is for a reason).
As with Rahua’s products, their main ingredient is Aloe Vera leaf extract, but there is also a whole range of different scents to choose from. You can even buy an unscented ‘bare’ shampoo if you want!
John Masters Organics hair products are great for repairing damaged hair, or for everyday maintenance.
Miessence Shampoos and Conditioners
Miessence products are some of the purest products on the market, and this is shown by the fact that they are USDA and Austalian Certified Organic.
Their shampoos and conditioners are one of our favourite. They are a bit more pricey, but certainly worth it in quality.
As a company Miessence use 95% organic ingredients – with the other 5% being from natural sources.
Their best products to try out are their Lemon Myrtle Shampoo if you have normal/oily hair, and their Desert Flower Shampoo if you have normal/dry hair.
Their Miessence Shine Herbal Hair Conditioner is also great for all hair types!
Aubrey are a less well known brand, but I have been really impressed with the quality of their hair products.
Their most famous range is the ‘GBP balancing protein’ range which has both milk protein and organic soy protein to strengthen and mend you hair.
Aubrey shampoos and conditioners also generally feature organic aloe vera leaf extract, coconut and shea butter to rehydrate and moisturise your hair, and there is a whole range with different scents and essential oils to try for different types of hair.
Aubrey as a company have been perfecting their products for more than 30 years, and ensure that their products are free of petrochemicals and synthetics.